[ppml] Dean Anderson, 130.105.0.0/16 and the future of the IPv4 Internet.]

Dean Anderson dean at av8.com
Tue Jul 24 20:41:01 EDT 2007

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007, Paul Vixie wrote:

> dean anderson wrote:
>
> > But there are some apparent illegitimate reasons. I exposed some of
> > Vixies schemes some years ago. I think particularly the Anycast issue
> > and the AXFR "clarify" scam (fall 2002 - spring 2003).
>
> actually, you pretty much lost both of those arguments, and demonstrated
> considerable technical ignorance in the process.

Really?  You didn't get AXFR clarify though, and that scheme failed
entirely. And the Anycast scheme, while you got it through by playing
hardball, isn't working, for the reasons I said it wouldn't.

> > But I also asserted that Antitrust would apply to blacklists and
> > that ECPA would apply to ISPs in the late 1990s.  Vixie and cronies
> > did other things to retaliate for those early disputes.
>
> for the record, i have no cronies and i don't have time for
> retaliation.

Really? Good to hear. (Just wish it were true.)

> > Though I did tend to say I was vindicated in the ECPA and Antitrust
> > disputes after the Exactis v. MAPS case became well-known in 2002,
> > and after NANOG held a seminar on the ECPA in 2002.
>
> ECPA had no bearing on the issues at the heart of Exactis vs. MAPS.

I never said it did. I think Exactis claimed Antitrust, fraud,
extortion, violation of the Colorado Electronic Communications Privacy
Act and some other things I can't remember right now.  I have the
complaint they filed. If I recall, there were 7 claims, and they got a
Temporary Restraining Order. The Judge chastised MAPS lawyer for arguing
frivolously that the First Amendment exempted them from all these
things.

Just by way of reference, many people will remember Paul Vixie
blustering in the 1990s about how he looked forward to a lawsuit to
resolve all these questions.  Well, there is a memo in the Exactis case
which reveals the truth behind this bluster. See
http://www.dotcomeon.com/exactis1.html  Particularly, this statement
from MAPS:

  Threats of legal action are especially common. . . . Please note that
  threats of legal action are counterproductive. The moment a lawsuit is
  threatened, all discussions are halted immediately, and MAPS will take
  no further action with respect to the listing until the lawsuit threat
  is retracted. Consequently, any listed site will remain listed.

> > But in September 1997, Vixie also claimed to have no association
> > with MAPS after concerns about conspiracy in restraint of trade. And
> > we know that turned out to be false.
>
> reference, please?

See the article on http://www.iadl.org/maps/maps-story.html
Under the heading "September, 1997: Problems, Blacklists, Coercion"
There is a link to your message on Nanog.

> > ISC.ORG hosts SORBS.
>
> ISC does not host SORBS.

http://www.iadl.org/bm/bill-manning-story.html

204.152.186.189 still resolves to www.dnsbl.us.sorbs.net.

Saying ISC doesn't host SORBS is more dissembling, by the way.

But I do see the forward reference to www.dnsbl.us.sorbs.net. has been
changed to 64.124.52.230 (Bungi.com---Dave Rand, co-founder of MAPS)

		--Dean

617 344 9000