[ppml] Verifying the title to an IP address block

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Jul 24 10:47:18 EDT 2007

Given that addresses are not sold or leased and are not property and
therefore don't have "ownership", I think title verification is an
absurd
concept.

Further, I don't think that the registries should reverse their position
on this subject. Moving from registry to title agent would be a very
bad idea in my opinion.

Having said that, I do think that it is a good idea for the registries
and the IANA to work together and develop a system that would
enable the following:

	1.	IANA signs all delegations with a well-known key
		in a way that strongly identifies the recipient.

	2.	Each RIR would sign its allocations/assignments in
		a way that strongly identifies the direct recipient.

	3.	This chain would continue until finally the end-user
		was identified.

	4.	A mechanism should be built to enable DNS RRs
		to reflect IP/ASN tuples signed by both the Address
		and the ASN holders, reflecting the chain of
		authority for each.

I am not saying such a mechanism doesn't exist yet, but, I will
say that it is not widely deployed, common knowledge, or
readily available to the community at large.  It should be,
and, it should be done in as light-weight a manner as possible
without sacrificing the positive identity aspects.

Owen