[ppml] Policy Proposal: Global Policy for the Allocation oftheRemaining IPv4 Address Space

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Mon Jul 23 16:28:08 EDT 2007

Thus spake <michael.dillon at bt.com>
> We know that IPv4 exhaustion is not a brick wall because problems
> will be caused by events that happen before total exhaustion. This
> policy proposal plans to make that chaos happen sooner, when we
> are less prepared to deal with it.

I find no reason to believe that we will be any better prepared to deal with
exhaustion if it's delayed.  We've made remarkably little progress in
deploying IPv6 over the last decade, and that doesn't appear to be likely to
change until IPv4 exhaustion, whether real or artificial, is actually
reached.

> This is a bad, bad policy and we need to soundly reject it.

On that, we agree.  Allocating v4 space to RIRs that haven't asked for it,
and particularly the same amount of space to RIRs with significantly
different burn rates, doesn't make sense.

I will say that I find this proposal to be less bad than the "countdown"
proposal.

Stephen Sprunk      "Those people who think they know everything
CCIE #3723         are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
K5SSS                                             --Isaac Asimov