[ppml] Policy Proposal: Global Policy for the Allocation of the Remaining IPv4 Address Space

Andrew Dul andrew.dul at quark.net
Mon Jul 23 15:06:17 EDT 2007

>  ## * ##
>

>  Policy Proposal Name:  Global Policy for the Allocation of the Remaining
>  IPv4 Address Space
>
>      This policy describes the process for the allocation of the
>  remaining IPv4 space from IANA to the RIRs. When a minimum amount of
>  available space is reached, an identical number of IPv4 allocation units
>  (/8s) will be allocated from IANA to each RIR, replacing the current
>  IPv4 allocation policy.
>
>      In order to fulfill the requirements of this policy, at the time it
>  is adopted, an identical number of IPv4 allocation units (N units) will
>  be reserved by IANA for each RIR. The number N is defined as: 5.
>  The reserved allocation units will no longer be part of the available
>  space at the IANA pool. The process for the allocation of the remaining
>  IPv4 space is divided in two consecutive phases:

I'm not sure this policy is necessary.  I don't specifically think there is anything wrong with the current policy.

RIRs could develop their own "end of IPv4 allocation schemes" even if the IANA to RIR policy was not changed.

RIRs use IPv4 resources at different rates due to the different sizes of the communities they represent. This policy will artificially extend the availability in some of IPv4 resources in some RIR's, that could lead to RIR shopping.

I do not support this policy as currently written.

Andrew