[ppml] Route capacity and route churn

Scott Leibrand sleibrand at internap.com
Thu Jul 12 18:23:13 EDT 2007

Randy Bush wrote:
> John Paul Morrison wrote:

> <snip>
>
> in reality, they can put enough ram in these boxes, but they can not
> load churn worth squat.  it would be inappropriate for me to quote
> numbers, but let's just say "not pretty" would be an understatement.

It sounds to me like Cisco and Juniper need to work on a suitable
replacement for route flat damping, which simply picks the more stable
route when one of them is unstable, and slows down the rate it sends
along updates when they come in too frequently for a specific prefix.
 From the research presentations I've seen, implementations based on a
few simple rules like that could significantly reduce route churn
without reducing availability...

Is there already implementation work like this ongoing?

-Scott