[ppml] IPv4 "Up For Grabs" proposal

Davis, Terry L terry.l.davis at boeing.com
Thu Jul 12 10:47:32 EDT 2007

Jordi

I agree and I started to respond to a post week with a similar response and got distracted.

I can absolutely guarantee that the aviation industry expects the migration from v4 to v6 to take over 25 years.  We just expect to build airplanes that can deal with OSI, v4, and v6.  The global air traffic management system is made up of 10 of thousands of pieces controlled by approaching 1000 different organizations from small private operations to nations and v4 is already built into infrastructure pieces that are not likely to see communications upgrades for 10 to 20 years.  I routinely speak to aviation industry leaders on this and I generally place v4 end of life somewhere from 25 to 40 years out.

Likewise most critical infrastructure around the globe is the same; the SCADA that runs this today is mostly all v4 as are the hospital's (including Intensive Care Units) infrastructure around the world.  This type of infrastructure is much harder to convert than just corporate IT; it takes years of planning and scores of individual governmental design approvals/certifications to change it.

Take care
Terry