[ppml] My take on legacy resource proposal

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Thu Jul 12 03:36:18 EDT 2007

> I suggest you read this proposed draft on reverse DNS status
> (and I hope you urge the DNSOP group take it up and approve
> it)
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-anderson-reverse-dns
> -status-00.txt

Please don't use the public policy list to do IETF work. It is up to the
engineers in the IETF to decide whether or not your draft has merit, and
until the IETF has published an RFC on the topic I don't think it is
proper for ARIN policy work to take note of your document. In particular
you are proposing some significant changes to the way people use DNS
and, in fact, asking the IETF to dictate operations.

One aspect which you and many others seem to miss, is that although
having reverse DNS is not a complete security solution, it is still
valuable in a layered security model. That is why many applications
check reverse DNS before communicating. That is why ARIN operates
in-addr.arpa and ip6.arpa.

--Michael Dillon