[ppml] v6 Multihoming (was Re: IPv4 "Up For Grabs" proposal)

Scott Leibrand sleibrand at internap.com
Thu Jul 12 01:35:52 EDT 2007

Christopher Morrow wrote:
> On 7/11/07, Seth Mattinen <sethm at rollernet.us> wrote:
>
>> My main concern as a small operator myself - single AS and /22 worth of
>> PI space - is being forced to do something ugly like shim6 and/or stupid
>> DNS tricks because my single /48 ball isn't enough to play BGP with the
>> big boys in an IPv6 world.
>>

> actually I think "have asn == have /48 PI" in the ARIN region, so
> rejoice (sorta)

And to directly address your question, I think your /48 ball will be big
enough to play BGP for the foreseeable future.  There's a lot of
pressure to avoid giving out PI /48's to the folks that have PA /24's
today, but I think anyone who already qualifies for a PI /22 can count
on continuing to do PI+BGP in IPv6.

-Scott