[ppml] v6 Multihoming (was Re: IPv4 "Up For Grabs" proposal)

William Herrin arin-contact at dirtside.com
Wed Jul 11 22:46:00 EDT 2007

On 7/11/07, Christopher Morrow <christopher.morrow at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/11/07, William Herrin <arin-contact at dirtside.com> wrote:
> > Actually I'm not. I haven't personally checked the numbers, but I'm
> > told that if every org that has one or more prefixes announced in IPv4
> > announces exactly one prefix into IPv6, the table would have in the
>
> I think this depends upon how you define an org actually, but given
> that some folks are doing that by 'if you have an ASN you get a /32 or
> /48' perhaps the number is as low as 45k (rounded up today). There are

Chris,

According to an ARIN routing report from three weeks ago there are
25,500 AS's announcing routes into IPv4. If every AS announced exactly
one IPv6 prefix, we'd have 25,500 entries in the table. Not sure where
you came up with 45k.

This is the ARIN mailing list, so I'm using their definition of an
org: a unique org entity in the whois records, in this case one to
which address blocks have been assigned or allocated and subsequently
announced via BGP.

My 50k-60k number is based on the proposition that all orgs (not asns)
who currently have an IPv4 prefix announced would announce exactly one
prefix into IPv6. I suppose if you want to double-check it, you'd have
to pull the bgp table, look up the org-id in whois and then sort -u |
wc -l. Personally, I'm not real inclined to pound the whois system
with 220,000 requests.

Regards,
Bill

--