[ppml] Policy Proposal: Authentication of Legacy Resources

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Wed Jul 11 21:43:49 EDT 2007

John,

On Jul 10, 2007, at 10:27 AM, John Paul Morrison wrote:
> I'm talking about the public Internet - if your printer is still
> happily running IPv4 within a private network that doesn't count.

OK.

> Assuming IPv6 takes off on the public Internet, it will displace
> IPv4 just because of the administrative overhead. Who's going to
> want to maintain two routing protocols in a large network for very
> long?

The folks who want to connect to the Internet.  IPv6 is not going to
be universal for a very, very long time as there is so little
(business) justification for the vast majority of current content
providers to expend the resources (money, manpower, time) to do the
conversion.

> So assuming IPv6 replaces IPv4, it's pointless to chase down the
> legacy users since it will all become legacy.

I personally believe that in its current form, it is highly unlikely
IPv6 will replace IPv4 in my lifetime.  When the IPv4 free pool is
exhausted, people are not going to turn off their IPv4-only devices
and ISPs will do what is necessary to continue generating revenues.
I imagine there will be business opportunities in mechanisms that
allow IPv6-only sites/devices to communicate with the (predominantly)
IPv4 Internet which will tend to prolong the lifetime of IPv4.

However, regardless of the clarity of my crystal ball, it would seem
prudent to me to have mechanisms in place to clearly and
unambiguously identify the users of the address space for the (likely
inevitable) market that will be emerging in IPv4 addresses.

Rgds,
-drc