[ppml] v6 Multihoming (was Re: IPv4 "Up For Grabs" proposal)

William Herrin arin-contact at dirtside.com
Wed Jul 11 21:40:25 EDT 2007

On 7/11/07, Christopher Morrow <christopher.morrow at gmail.com> wrote:
> Bill's making a giant leap of faith that all multi-homing won't be
> done like ipv4 multihoming and that people will be 'as good' as they
> are today wrt de-aggregation... This seems, based on past history,
> like a very, very bad bet.

Chris,

Actually I'm not. I haven't personally checked the numbers, but I'm
told that if every org that has one or more prefixes announced in IPv4
announces exactly one prefix into IPv6, the table would have in the
neighborhood of 50k-60k entries. More, deaggregation is hard to get
away with when almost everybody has exactly a /48 and nobody has less.
Not sayin' it won't happen, just that it won't be as common.

Will the IPv6 DFZ eventually grow past 100k entries? Sure. Soon? No.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William D. Herrin                  herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us