[ppml] v6 Multihoming (was Re: IPv4 "Up For Grabs" proposal)

Christopher Morrow christopher.morrow at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 21:28:45 EDT 2007

On 7/11/07, Scott Leibrand <sleibrand at internap.com> wrote:

> In addition, IPv6 supports host multihoming, where a host has multiple
> IP addresses and uses whichever is appropriate.  Extensions like shim6

I think it's worth mentioning that to be very, very clear about 'host
multihoming' here the way in which a host goes about selecting which
address to source traffic FROM or destine traffic TO is still quite
mysterious and 'undefined' for the most part in host-os-es.

So, you may have 2-3-4-5-more addresses on your host's interface, but
there's no clear understanding of which to use, nor control for the
user in which gets used. Then, which far-side address gets used? DNS
Round-Robin anyone? sense of path size/stability/use/abuse/over-use
anyone? yikes... this isn't multihoming except in the most basic of
definitions :(

Oh, then try to get your host to release the address when RA goes away
for that subnet... fun! some OSes don't do that right/at-all either :(
fun stuff!

-Chris