[ppml] IPv4 "Up For Grabs" proposal

William Herrin arin-contact at dirtside.com
Wed Jul 11 20:49:19 EDT 2007

On 7/11/07, James Jun <james at towardex.com> wrote:
> > Because of the change in how IP addresses are justified and assigned,
> > the IPv6 DFZ has only a couple thousand routes and is expected to have
>
> Not quite, the IPv6 DFZ is currently at around ~800 routes.

Wishful thinking on my part. I'd like IPv6 deployment to be further
along than it is.

> > The hitch is: until IPv4 goes away, you're not talking about 100,000
> > routes. You're talking about 100,000 IPv6 routes PLUS 220,000 IPv4
> > routes. So it gets worse before it gets better and until IPv4 goes
> > away, it doesn't get better.
>
> It's not that of a big problem than some people are speculating actually.

I'll stipulate that the impending collapse of the IPv4 DFZ has been
greatly exaggerated if you'll stipulate that IPv6 BGP will converge
faster when the same routers don't have to converge IPv4 BGP in
parallel. There will be real incentives not just to move towards IPv6
but to move away from IPv4.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--