[ppml] Incentive to legacy address holders

John Paul Morrison jmorrison at bogomips.com
Wed Jul 11 20:31:24 EDT 2007

Indeed, IPv4 is a huge block to IPv6.  (Aside: it took the Web for
people to RUN to adopt IPv4. If we didn't have IPv4 and the Internet
instead evolved on top of a competing protocol, we wouldn't be having
any discussion about replacing the protocol; mostly because competing
protocols had bigger addresses, and also possibly because the Internet
would not have been as fertile ground for developing things like the
Web, which made it take off).

I'd like to see IPv6 replace IPv4 and think it will eventually, but IPv4
could linger well past its usable life (NAT will guarantee this). It's
not like buying a newer faster car, more like getting everyone to switch
to driving on the opposite sides of the road. Dual stack? Great, so why
am I going to invest in training and man-power to upgrade everything
when IPv4 is just good enough? IPv6 is here today in about every
enterprise /service provider OS and network device, but it's not enough
to get the ball rolling. It's getting into consumer devices but it's not
enough.
Until you can talk to everybody with IPv6, you might as well talk to
nobody with IPv6, because IPv4 already works.

What can policy do? It can nudge things along, remind us all that it
would be a nicer if we all moved on to v6, and to help encourage things:
we'll waive the fees for the early adopters, or better yet, simply keep
your addresses and use IPv6-compatible addressing, since v6 is a proper
superset of v4.  Policy can also drop a lot of baggage about how IPv4 is
so flawed that we need a clean slate and we need more paper work and
more BS to get going. We have a lot of running code but not a lot of
consensus, but I think over time it will become apparent that we just
need an "IPv6" enable button on our existing systems to accomplish a
migration, and then people can just carry on, business as usual, just
with a lot more addresses.