[ppml] IPv4 "Up For Grabs" proposal

John Paul Morrison jmorrison at bogomips.com
Wed Jul 11 18:49:40 EDT 2007

There's a lot of reasons for IPv6 (about 2^128 reasons), but I don't
think it has anything to do with keeping global routing running.
Not when the two biggest vendors have routers that will scale to
millions of routes, the biggest carriers have or will have these routers
in their networks, and likely don't even have BGP running within their
cores (since you don't have to with MPLS).

Routing tables are of course growing (though nowhere near at the rate of
the early 1990's) and mid-sized carriers may be feeling the pinch. But
hey, if you haven't upgraded your hardware or network architecture since
Y2K, you can't complain - and I don't think they are, I think they're
just happy that they can actually get another few years out of their kit
by re-using as MPLS switches or aggregation routers. The fact they've
survived in business this long means they can afford to upgrade their
edge/peering boxes where the big routing tables are needed.

Call me a cynic, but I think it's either very optimistic or very naive
to think that just because IPv6 has a nice hierarchical address
allocation/aggregation plan on paper, that the IPv6 routing tables are
going to look much different from today. You have the pressures of the
market/business and the random entropy of global network with no central
management that's going to churn the routing tables, punch holes in it
and leak prefixes everywhere.