[ppml] IPv4 "Up For Grabs" proposal

Kevin Kargel kkargel at polartel.com
Wed Jul 11 15:07:16 EDT 2007

Why is there such a big push to drop IPv4?  Is there a reason that v4
and v6 can't operate concurrently in perpetuity?  Won't the customers go
where the content is and the content go where the money is?

I would suggest that if IPv6 is a good thing (and I firmly believe that
it is) then networks will naturally gravitate to IPv6.  That being the
case then let IPv4 die a natural death of attrition.  There is no need
to murder it outright.

If in fact IPv4 continues to survive and thrive alongside IPv6 wouldn't
that very fact demonstrate the need to keep it going and foster it?

It sounds like a lot of people have so little faith in the value of IPv6
that they for some odd reason cinsider IPv4 a threat.   If IPv6 is
better than IPv4 then people will use it.  If it isn't then they will
stay where they are.  I see no reason to 'force' people to switch.  They
will move when it is in their best interests to do so for features and
markets.