[ppml] ARIN Outreach to Legacy Holders

william(at)elan.net william at elan.net
Tue Jul 10 22:04:33 EDT 2007

On Mon, 9 Jul 2007, Leo Bicknell wrote:

> Legacy addresses, if you read the documents were assigned to specific
> people for specific networks.

I beleieve above is wrong although its harder now to judge specifics of
process that legacy holders went through. But general view seems to be
that ip addresses are and were assigned/allocated to organizations or
more specifically to legal entities (which is either organization or
individual by himself).

> What argument could be made that they should be transferable to that
> person's children?

They need not make any transfer require if block was assigned to
organization. They simply become new owners of organization and
get control of the block as part of the ownership transition.

> The clocks a-tickin.  Two years and the legacy holders, ARIN, and
> the community will all be rolling the dice as this unfolds.  We
> have to lay out some decent terms quickly and hope most people sign
> up, otherwise it's going to be too late to matter. If we don't all
> come to some agreement soon I'm sure a court will impose situation
> that no one likes if things go badly.

Courts will likely be tried no matter what and in fact its likely
that if ARIN imposed certain policy or requirement of RSA on person
who did not have this before, this will not be viewed favorately
by courts (i.e. its worth then status quo), but IANAL.

> Most interestingly, neither outreach for RSA modifications are
> policy matters, so that really puts the pressure squarely on the
> BOD.

It is. That does not mean its bad that its discussed here, I'm
sure people from BoT can use more feedback on this subject and
would like to take into account community views when making their
decisions.

However it does seem that some policy proposals go beyond what could
possibly be put on ARIN's policy page. And considering recent case of
policy proposal that went through entire process and ulitmately was
not accepted by BoT it would be great if ARIN when doing their review
of the policy proposal provides feedback if that or is not so.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks
william at elan.net