[ppml] IPv4 "Up For Grabs" proposal

James Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 20:06:21 EDT 2007

> $1M/yr.  IIRC, ARIN's already running a surplus of roughly that amount, so
> increasing revenues doesn't seem to be a priority.  As a non-profit, ARIN
> needs to be reducing revenues and/or increasing services provided.

As ARIN is a non-profit, then ultimately, making every organization serviced by
ARIN be treated equally and pay the same amount shouldn't ultimately
increase revenue.

And so long as fees are charged, a surplus is a good thing, as it means in case
of an unforseen expense (or seldom major infrastructure upgrade costs
in future years),
so fees don't have to be raised drastically for that year.

I would expect any surplus would be saved and used to make ARIN eventually able
to be self-sustaining, to cover large one-time costs in later years or
to reduce
and eventually eliminate the need for fees in future years.

--
-J