[ppml] IPv4 "Up For Grabs" proposal

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Tue Jul 10 17:31:29 EDT 2007

Thus spake "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm at ipinc.net>
>> "Tracks" is also not quite accurate; ARIN is dependent on the
>> registrants keeping their data up to date.  Half of them haven't
>> bothered to do so in the last decade, and ARIN isn't out there
>> hunting them down.  The amount of money spent on legacy
>> folks is minimal, since the systems need to be built and
>> maintained for non-legacy folks anyways.  It's a negligible
>> incremental cost.
>
> True, but the cost to run the system is spread out over only the
> non-legacy folks.  If the cost was spread out over all holders,
> legacy or not, then it would be cheaper for non-legacy holders.
> Assuming your a non-legacy holder, are you objecting to a
> fee reduction for your numbering?

Since I am not a voting member, my positions on fees are irrelevant.

However, even if every legacy holder not currently paying fees started to do
so, the incremental revenue to ARIN (under the current fee schedule,
assuming the blocks were all "assignments") would be in the ballpark of
$1M/yr.  IIRC, ARIN's already running a surplus of roughly that amount, so
increasing revenues doesn't seem to be a priority.  As a non-profit, ARIN
needs to be reducing revenues and/or increasing services provided.

Stephen Sprunk      "Those people who think they know everything
CCIE #3723         are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
K5SSS                                             --Isaac Asimov