[ppml] Policy Proposal: Authentication of Legacy Resources

Dean Anderson dean at av8.com
Mon Jul 9 23:08:45 EDT 2007

On Mon, 9 Jul 2007, Leo Bicknell wrote:

> In a message written on Mon, Jul 09, 2007 at 07:24:56PM -0400, Dean Anderson wrote:
> > BTW, people also assert without any evidence that legacy records aren't
> > correct or uptodate.  This is no truth to this assertion that I can see:
> > Legacy holders have as much interest as anyone else in keeping records
> > uptodate.  More interest, probably. Legacy holders have existed for more
> > than 10 years, and so tend to be stable businesses understanding role
> > contacts, and so the records don't need to be changed. Most records
> > probably won't need to be changed for a long time to come. The recency
> > of update has no bearing on the accuracy of the data.
>
> ARIN staff has asserted that a large percentage of the record
> hijacking attempts are made on Legacy space records specifically
> because contact information is out of date.  When ARIN staff detects
> these hijacking attempts they must attempt to find correct contact
> information, which has been reported as difficult in many cases.

And just how many of these hijacking attempts have there been? (not very
many)

Is this just faux "urgency" by people trying to drum up subscribers to
the (fake) SORBS 'hijack' list?
(http://www.iadl.org/sorbs/sorbs-story.html)

> One of the reasons ARIN went to yearly billing was experience at ARIN
> and elsewhere that bills sent less frequently than once a year (the
> USPS mail forwarding interval, BTW have a significantly higher return
> as undeliverable rate.  This is one of the reasons we have yearly
> billing, it helps keep records fresh.

Good idea.  So mail out a first class newsletter to the admin contacts,
and keep track of the returns for further update efforts. Problem
solved. Everyone is happy.

> I'm sure ARIN staff could provide more details at the next meeting if
> you are interested.

Perhaps they can post on the subject on this list, sooner.

		--Dean

617 344 9000