[ppml] Incentive to legacy address holders

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Mon Jul 9 18:34:06 EDT 2007

In a message written on Sun, Jul 08, 2007 at 09:38:21PM -0500, James Hess wrote:
> As I see it, there should be some global policy action encouraged, not just any
> one RIR taking it upon itself to try to reclaim inactive legacy
> blocks, since the
> matter of  lost legacy resources unused for decades need to be reclaimed
> outright regardless of region, to avoid wasting blocks of addresses, legacy
> blocks that are dormant and unused should be reclaimed in all regions,

You are aware that at least APNIC passed a policy to require all
of the legacy space holders in their region to sign a current RSA
and (as far as I can tell) abide by all current APNIC rules?

http://www.apnic.net/docs/policy/proposals/prop-018-v001.html

When the records were transferred to RIPE, RIPE made the statement
that to modify them the user would have to sign a RIPE service
agreement.  I can't find anyone that states the success level they
have had with that policy.

http://www.arin.net/registration/erx/faq.html

I can't quickly find any information on the ERX activities to LACNIC
or AfriNIC.

In terms of global policy though, at least two RIR's have already
taken action on their own, and the action is to sign a current
contract and abide by all current rules.  I'm not sure those RIR's would
be interested a global policy that does something different at this
point.