[ppml] ARIN Outreach to Legacy Holders

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Mon Jul 9 18:17:11 EDT 2007

In a message written on Mon, Jul 09, 2007 at 12:43:49AM +0000, Paul Vixie wrote:
> here, you make it seem that if someone has a legacy /16 at 1% utilization
> it will not affect their ability to apply for new RSA space.  is that what
> you intend?

That was what the text as written allowed.  One of the points of
hallway conversation is the difference between what it might take
to reclaim a block, and what it would take to get more space.

I tend to lean a bit more towards never reclaiming a "legacy" block,
even if only 1% in use, but requiring a holder to use all of the
block before applying for more space.

What can we get people to agree to as terms?

> so you're telling a family who owns a new york city taxi medallion that
> they can no longer pass it from generation to generation, nor sell it on
> ebay for USD 500K, and you expect them to sign this why exactly?

What makes anyone think today legacy addresses pass generation to
generation, or can be sold on eBay?  eBay won't let you sell IP
addresses, sighting appropriate RFC's.  Legacy addresses, if you
read the documents were assigned to specific people for specific
networks.  What argument could be made that they should be transferable
to that person's children?

> i'm all for protecting the DFZ from the deaggregation implicit in
> a black market.  but negotiating the terms is going to be tricky for
> a number of reasons.

The clocks a-tickin.  Two years and the legacy holders, ARIN, and
the community will all be rolling the dice as this unfolds.  We
have to lay out some decent terms quickly and hope most people sign
up, otherwise it's going to be too late to matter.  If we don't all
come to some agreement soon I'm sure a court will impose situation
that no one likes if things go badly.

Most interestingly, neither outreach for RSA modifications are
policy matters, so that really puts the pressure squarely on the
BOD.