[ppml] ARIN Outreach to Legacy Holders

David Williamson dlw+arin at tellme.com
Mon Jul 9 11:39:36 EDT 2007

On Mon, Jul 09, 2007 at 11:24:44AM -0400, Azinger, Marla wrote:
> I believe the web link with markers like Owens broken down would be a great thing.

I agree.  There's little reason to believe that a stick will be more
effective than a carrot at this point.

I find it interesting that we've had a few legacy holders pop up to
provide input, which is refreshing and exceedingly useful.  I also find
it interesting that all of them seem to be holders of class C space.  I
suspect that the class C swamp is not the real point of interest in
this conversation, however, and I'm wondering if any of the A or B
holders have any opinion on the direction this is heading.

It also occured to me that the modern definitions that most closely
apply for class A and class C space are almost certainly "allocation"
and "assignment", respectively.  It's hard to imagine an allocation of
a /24, especially from that earlier era.  As usual, the class B space
is the troubling one when it comes to definitions.

I also had the throught that if/when a stick does get applied, it
should be done in such a way that we get the most bang for the buck.
Within the class C space, I would support a general amnesty for anyone
holding a /22 equivalent or less.  Let them sign an RSA that indicates
that they have a PI assignment of their existing space.  As long as
they have actual use for the space, they can keep it at the normal low
rate for such things.  (We could also encourage someone holding two or
four swamp class C addresses to return them in exchange for contiguous
/23 or /22 assignments.)

I'd still prefer to avoid the "stick" and stay with the carrot, though.

-David