[ppml] Incentive to legacy address holders

Martin Hannigan martin.hannigan at batelnet.bs
Sun Jul 8 22:59:07 EDT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "James Hess" <mysidia at gmail.com>
To: ppml at arin.net
Subject: Re: [ppml] Incentive to legacy address holders
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2007 21:38:21 -0500

> > Who has the authority to recover those blocks?  Put the
> > other way, who has the authority to demand a legacy
> > holder simply stand up and say "yep, still here, still
> > in use", as that's the only way it's going to happen.
> > Surely we haven't put all these addresses in the virtual
> > bit-bucket because of some implied "no one will ever ask
> you later if you're still using it" clause.  But can ARIN
> > do that? IANA?  Does the government have to come back
> > and do it, since they gave it out?
>
> I would say the responsibilities went to ICANN, and it
> would  be the responsibility of the ICANN ASO to develop
> suitable policies

The ASO has few, but important, functions.

    We certify that RIR's PDP was followed WRT global
policies

    We appoint two RIR linked individuals to ICANN BoD seats
9 and 10.

    We develop and execute "administrative" procedures to
comply with the
    MoU and Attachments that the RIR's have with ICANN.

The ASO AC can not create numbering policy. You should be
very happy about this for a variety of reasons.

Martin Hannigan
ASO AC/NRO NC Member

(The ASO AC and the NRO NC are effectively the same bug)