[ppml] Incentive to legacy address holders

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Fri Jul 6 15:18:23 EDT 2007

At 1:50 PM -0500 7/6/07, Kevin Kargel wrote:
> Strongly agreed..  let's try friendly means before we get belligerent..
>who knows, if we invite them to the picnic and ask them nicely to dance
>they might actually like the idea..
>
>Kevin
>
> > It is premature to spend time devising threats to legacy
>> address holders who haven't accepted an invitation that has
> > not yet been issued.
>>
> > Keith

And actually, I agree as well that we should engage in outreach of
legacy space holders in order to encourage address space usage and
improved accuracy of our record keeping.  It's the right thing to do,
even if the adoption rate turns out to be low.

My only purpose in sending the extract from RFC 2050 was simply
to point out that the intent of the first IANA (Jon Postel) on this
topic is rather clear, even before the formation of ARIN...  one of
the three tenets of address space management is conservation,
via the fair distribution according to operational needs and via the
prevention of stockpiling in order to maximize the lifetime of the
IP address space.  One may not have signed an agreement with
an RIR which says such, but that doesn't mean it wasn't implicit
in your participation in the Internet.

/John