[ppml] Incentive to legacy address holders

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Fri Jul 6 14:36:26 EDT 2007

At 11:22 AM -0700 7/6/07, Owen DeLong wrote:
>What would prevent the legacy holders from coming together and
>asking IANA to delegate those in-addrs to an alternate server?

The IANA could easily do exactly that...   Of course, the IANA might
also ask each of them about their actual utilization, and then read
to them from RFC 2050:

"IP addresses are valid as long as the criteria continues to be met.
 The IANA reserves the right to invalidate any IP assignments once it
 is determined the the requirement for the address space no longer
 exists.  In the event of address invalidation, reasonable efforts
 will be made by the appropriate registry to inform the organization
 that the addresses have been returned to the free pool of IPv4
 address space."

It would be awesome if they'd all come together in one spot... I'm
sure something interesting would happen.

/John