[ppml] Policy Proposal: Resource Reclamation Incentives

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Fri Jul 6 01:02:01 EDT 2007

Thus spake "Keith W. Hare" <Keith at jcc.com>
> I've seen a lot of discussion over the last couple of days about
> legacy address space reclamation and whether or not legacy
> address holders are paying their fair share to support ARIN.
>
> The thing I haven't seen are any numbers.
> This discussion of reclamation incentives has also generated
> a lot of discussion about legacy address holders who have
> not signed an RSA and do not pay ARIN anything.  However,
> I have not seen anything about how many legacy address
> holders exist.

Per the presentation at ARIN XIX, there are 31,386 legacy direct
registrations to 20,501 organizations, and 2,277 of those orgs have signed
an RSA.

Currently no fees are collected for those 31,386 legacy blocks; however, the
orgs that have signed an RSA are likely paying for other, non-legacy
resources.

Also, only 44% of the blocks appear in the routing tables, and only 54% have
been updated since Dec 97.  That means a sizeable fraction of the blocks are
likely abandoned.

Since ARIN (per a response to an off-list query) doesn't know whether legacy
blocks are "assignments" or "allocations", it's not possible to determine
how much revenue would be generated if all of them were subject to fees.

Worst case, ARIN would collect around $1M/yr if the active blocks were all
determined to be "assignments" and the registrants were paying the $100/yr
maintenance fee -- an increase of about 10% to ARIN's revenue.  OTOH, if
most of the blocks were "allocations", the increase could be 20+ times that.
Nobody knows.

> How many legacy address blocks exist that are large enough
> to be useful to ARIN?

All of them are potentially useful.  However, I haven't seen any stats that
break out how many of the registrations are of the various sizes.  Common
sense says that most will be /24s, but there's gobs of /16s out there as
well, and a few /8s.

Stephen Sprunk      "Those people who think they know everything
CCIE #3723         are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
K5SSS                                             --Isaac Asimov