[ppml] IPv4 "Up For Grabs" proposal

Keith W. Hare Keith at jcc.com
Thu Jul 5 23:31:33 EDT 2007

One of the assumptions of the "Up For Grabs" not-quite-a-proposal is
that there are evil legacy address holders who have refused to pay their
fair share of the ARIN costs.

I've been the technical point of contact for our IPv4 /24 address for
some time.  I don't ever remember seeing anything from ARIN asking us to
sign an RSA and pay a yearly fee.  So, I've refused to respond to an
invitation I haven't received.

I went to the ARIN web site to see what I would have to do to sign an
RSA for our IPv4 /24.  I don't immediately see anything that says "If
you are a legacy address holder, this is what you do..."  So, I've
refused to follow a process that isn't visible.

Yep, I'm definitely evil.

I do see the ARIN membership application, which seems to be different
from signing an RSA.  Maybe if I become a member and pay the yearly
membership fee I won't be as evil.

If "Up For Grabs" were a real policy proposal, I would be opposed to it.
It is an attempt to punish legacy address holders rather than an attempt
to do anything positive.

Since it is not a real policy proposal, I can ignore it for the moment,
and maybe it will go away.

Keith

Keith W. Hare                     JCC Consulting, Inc.
keith at jcc.com                     600 Newark Road
Phone: 740-587-0157               P.O. Box 381
Fax: 740-587-0163                 Granville, Ohio 43023
http://www.jcc.com                USA