[ppml] IPv4 "Up For Grabs" proposal

James Jun james at towardex.com
Thu Jul 5 20:49:05 EDT 2007

>> Then why are you so opposed to setting a date in advance that we will
>> all say this is going to happen?  If it doesen't matter, then why
>> argue against this?
>>
>Because the date should be decided on a case-by-case basis between the
>ISP and the address holder, not by some RIR policy decision without any
>visibility into the real world of what is happening.
>
> Then IPv6 switchover will never happen.

As someone who maintains over 450 IPv6 hand-off connections around the U.S.,
I can tell you that the reality contradicts your argument on all grounds.

Most large carriers already run IPv6 natively on their backbone; those who
haven't done it so far at the least have IPv6 migration planning being
planned out inside their organization.  There is far greater number of small
ISP's who haven't gotten the memo yet to implement IPv6, than there are big
guys who already are working toward some sort of solution for their
customers.  I say this, because much of your utopian drama proposals are
designed around "rich gets richer, poorer gets poorer, big guys are the
evil" mantra, including your latest frivolous proposal against legacy
holders.

And seriously, most legacy holders, especially the large-block holders, are
not in carrier business with some notable exceptions (for example, Level3
holding 4.0.0.0/8, after acquisition of BBN assets; however, even so, (3)
has a direct IPv6 allocation from ARIN, 2001:1900::/32 and offer IPv6
service to customers now -- and they are an ARIN member).  A lot of legacy
holders are in enterprise environment (unless you consider small /24-/22 mom
& pop legacy holders and enterprise WAN's as big giant evil carriers who
would prevent Global IPv6 Adoption from ever happening), which they will
only make themselves suffer by not adopting IPv6.

So please, before you argue that somehow if we don't do XYZ in a frivolous
chaotic manner, IPv6 will never happen, first pay more attention to products
and services available in the carrier industry today regarding IPv6; and new
developments that are being worked on to further expand IPv6 services out to
the edge (the end users).  It's all happening right now, slowly but
definitely gaining traction, all without your input.

Regards,
james