[ppml] IPv4 "Up For Grabs" proposal

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Jul 3 22:27:13 EDT 2007

I think it is a phenomenally bad idea.  First, once there's a 20%
adoption
rate on IPv6, there's enough momentum to make most of the other issues
around IPv4 a "short-term problem".  Given the amount of time we have
lived with the status quo, I don't see any advantage to taking action to
change it at that point.

Item 3 is especially bad because you've basically encouraged vigilante
routing as a denial of service attack against legacy holders who choose
to boycott the RSA.  Encouraging others to such an action (which would
in most of North America be considered a violation of law) would subject
ARIN not only to very likely civil liability, but, could even subject
the
corporation to criminal prosecution under some circumstances.  IANAL,
but, I'm betting Steve Ryan would shoot this policy dead in a heart
beat on the legal ramifications alone.

Owen