[ppml] IPv4 "Up For Grabs" proposal

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Tue Jul 3 20:33:01 EDT 2007

> Everyone wants to transition to IPv6 but...
>
> nobody is willing to force any IPv4 holders to give up anything

and these are related how?

> nobody is willing to raise fees to make it cost effective to
> transition to IPv6

possibly a more convincing approach would be to lower the cost barriers
to transitioning to ipv6?  and i mean the operational ones, not some
artificial address space rental prices.

> nobody is willing to tell anyone they cannot buy-and-sell IPv4
> assignments in a kind of huge ebay sale

what good would it do and what would it accomplish?

> nobody is willing to give the boot to a bunch of freeloading legacy
> holders that haven't contributed a dime in fees to keep the entire
> assignment mechanism going - including funding for this very mailing
> list I might add.

and no one is willing to kick out the loudmouth but no brains johnny
come latelies freeloading off the decades of work the legacy folk did.

and this is productive how?

at about age five (some decades ago), my son came back from moving cows
from one pasture to the other.  he reported "you know, it is easier to
lead them from in front with a can of grain than from behind with a
stick."  there seem to be a lot of supposed grown-ups who have not
learned that lesson.

randy