[ppml] IPv4 "Up For Grabs" proposal

Heather Schiller heather.schiller at verizonbusiness.com
Tue Jul 3 18:06:47 EDT 2007

I can't tell if you are just eliciting feedback on an idea, or you want to
make this into a formal policy proposal?   Policy proposals should be
submitted to policy at arin.net - there is a template designed
in a way to help to capture the answers to important questions about why
the policy should be considered/implemented
http://www.arin.net/policy/irpep_template.html   After a policy proposal
is submitted it is posted to ppml and passed to the AC.  There is a whole
process (http://www.arin.net/policy/irpep.html) but if you would like
some help with a policy proposal, I or any member of the AC would be glad
to help.

  If you just want some feedback.. I can do that too:

1) What is the goal of this policy?

2) Policy term?  temporary, permanent, renewable? (would be hard to undo,
if people start using it..)

WRT the goal of the policy - this seems to reclaim some legacy space to
create more 'private' address space, that is, address space that is not
globally unique.

If the goal is to be able to recover legacy address space, because of
impending IPv4 depletion, and to be able to extend the life of IPv4 - this
isn't going to get you far.  If the space is 'up for grabs and usable by
any organization' - you are essentially creating more RFC1918 like space.
The point of having registered address space, is so that you know who is
using it, and it remains globally unique, which is often important when
you start connecting networks together, and most commonly when you want to
route it in the "global internet"

If OTOH, you want to create more RFC1918/IANA reserved address space, my
question to you would be, do we need it?

If OTOH, you want to scare legacy folks into signing an RSA.. again my
question would be why? and there might be better ways to go about this.

--Heather