[ppml] Policy Proposal: Resource Reclamation Incentives

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Jul 3 17:18:01 EDT 2007

> Legacy domain names were also free and free from any annual
> renewal requirement.  That was changed without any negotiation
> that I can remember.  Couldn't that same political process
> be used to convert legacy address registrations to an annual
> renewal system?

Here's the thing...

Domain names don't function without DNS.  IP Assignments function
reasonably well without DNS although not having reverse DNS can
be an inconvenience.  Usually it is not inconvenient to the address
holder for the most part, however.

> Maybe they lawyers could answer this: What IS the legal difference
> between legacy address space and legacy domain names?

I don't know about the legal difference, but, operationally, I would say
dependencies and the agreements/statements made at the time
the RIRs were created.

Owen