[ppml] Policy Proposal: Resource Reclamation Incentives

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Tue Jul 3 11:53:11 EDT 2007

Thus spake "Kevin Loch" <kloch at kl.net>
> A $1/yr per address block, or other similar low flat rate fee
> would shake out the 'ghost' registrants and would be beneficial
> to everyone.

As would a policy that directed ARIN to attempt to determine the "liveness"
of legacy blocks by checking the BGP tables and making reasonable attempts
to reach the last known holder (~50% of which haven't been updated since
ARIN's formation).

>  Anything aimed at reclaiming inefficiently used legacy space
> would be going against the promise to maintain the status quo.

If you restrict that claim to revocation of legacy space still in use
(whether justified or not), I completely agree.

I do not believe that asking people to voluntarily return what they're not
using is a violation of that promise.  One can debate whether reclaiming
blocks that aren't "live" (see above) is a violation.

Stephen Sprunk      "Those people who think they know everything
CCIE #3723         are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
K5SSS                                             --Isaac Asimov