[ppml] on PPML? - was Re: How to get ...

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Sun Jul 1 07:44:45 EDT 2007

> As an exercise, remind me again where Canada is, does this
> fall in ARIN region or in the AfriNIC region?
>
> Then please try to explain me why I saw this recently:
> 2001:42c8::/32  Canada 	TGB-V6-AFRICA

Canada is not where you think it is. There is Canadian territory in many
African countries. It is convention for foreign embassies to be treated
as the territory of the foreign nation.

In any case, you are pointing out something that has existed since day 1
in the IPv4 world. What is the point. Nobody has ever seen enough of an
issue to make policy covering this situation. We are not engineers here,
we are politicians. Politics is the art of making 80-20 decisions which
means that inevitably, there is complex stuff that is not covered by
policies.

I wouldn't want to see bridges designed by politicians, but I also
dislike the idea of engineers making policy in the same way that bridges
are designed.

--Michael Dillon