[ppml] Policy Proposal: Changes to IPv6 policy - removal of "multiple /48" justification

Andrew Dul andrew.dul at quark.net
Sat Jan 27 14:16:03 EST 2007

At 12:01 AM 1/27/2007 +0100, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:
>> De: Stephen Sprunk <stephen at sprunk.org>
>> However, it's unclear that there is actually a problem here to be
>> solved.  Absent a comment from the ARIN Staff that a non-trivial number
>> of larger-than-/48 assingments have been referred to them, I propose
>> that we not solve this "problem" until it actually exists and we have
>> the data to show what exactly needs solving.

That seems reasonable to me too.

>The problem is no having an objective criteria. In absence of that, this
>text on the policy is useless and it should be removed.

Or we should add objective criteria to the policy so that ARIN staff can
make a determination if multiple /48 assignments should be permitted.

How about the following...

Remove the "Note:" paragraph from 6.5.4.2 and replace with the following.

The RIR/NIR shall use the following criteria to evalulate multiple /48
assignments:

New IPv6 end-user assignments:
If the end user can show immediate need for at least 16,384 (25% of /48)
/64 subnets they can be assigned additional /48 subnets such that their
initial assignment usage is below 25% of initial /64 subnets.

Existing IPv6 end-user assignments: If the end-user is currently using at
least 32,768 (50% of a /48) /64 subnets they shall be permitted additional
/48s such that their assignment usage is below 25% of /64 subnets for a
two-year growth projection.

Thoughts?  To high? To low?