[ppml] FW: 2006-7 IPV6 Initial Allocation suggested changes-InputRequested

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Sun Jan 28 14:08:09 EST 2007

Jordi,

On Jan 27, 2007, at 1:08 AM, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:
> A new ISP want to provide dual stack services. Under the current
> policy, it
> seems that he will need to have a plan for at least 200 /48.

That's 200 /48 over _five_ years, right?

> If the ISP
> doesn't plan to have that number of customers, he is being forced
> to lie,
> otherwise it will not get the IPv6 block allocated.

If an ISP isn't going to have 200 customers within 5 years, the
theory goes it should obtain its address space from its upstream
service provider.  This is the same as with IPv4 and since IPv6 uses
the same routing tecnology as IPv4, this would appear to make sense.

> I think this is not good. As said, it is an arbitrary barrier.

Given limited resources (in this case, it is the routing system),
there will always be arbitrary barriers.

Rgds,
-drc