[ppml] FW: 2006-7 IPV6 Initial Allocation suggested changes-InputRequested

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Fri Jan 26 14:52:55 EST 2007

Thus spake "JORDI PALET MARTINEZ" <jordi.palet at consulintel.es>
>> De: Andrew Dul <andrew.dul at quark.net>
>>
>> First I don't necessarily see the need to change the existing policy.
>> I'd
>> don't see the 200 /48s plan as a real hinderance to a legitimate LIR.
>
> So do you think is not possible an ISP to have a few customer and make
> profitable business ?

Being a profitable ISP and being a legitimate LIR are different things.

> Do you think is reasonable to stop people that are willing or already
> doing
> business this way ?

If they're already doing business this way, they don't have a problem.

> In fact, when I introduced my idea about this possible policy proposal
> at
> the last meeting, I recall at least a couple of people in the room
> being in
> this situation, so is something real.

The existing policy states that for an ISP to become a v6 LIR, it needs
"to be an existing, known ISP in the ARIN region or have a plan for
making at least 200 /48 assignments to other organizations within five
years"

Any existing, known ISP is exempt from the assignment requirement, so
that leaves only new and/or unknown ISPs.  They're only required to have
a _plan_ for making 200 assignments within _five years_, and there is no
penalty for failing to achieve the plan.  That's a pretty darn low bar
to meet.

If one plans on starting a new ISP that cannot meet that bar, then the
price is that one must make do with PA space from an upstream ISP.  One
might argue about the placement of the bar (i.e. the number of
assignments), but it's hard to argue with the need for _some_ bar.
We're talking about consuming global routing table slots here (even if
ARIN doesn't explicitly acknowledge that).  We can't just give them out
to anyone who asks without _some_ justification showing they have a bona
fide need for such.

Before we make any changes to these rules, I'd like to see actual
statements by people who have tried to get an allocation and have been
denied.  That way the community can look at the circumstances
surrounding the denial, decide whether that's what we intended to
happen, and change the rules if not.  We're already getting enough flak
from the larger ISPs that we've made getting a routing slot too easy;
claims from the other side that we've made it too hard need evidence,
IMHO.