[ppml] FW: 2006-7 IPV6 Initial Allocation suggested changes-InputRequested

Marshall Eubanks tme at multicasttech.com
Fri Jan 26 11:21:14 EST 2007

Hello;

On Jan 26, 2007, at 7:50 AM, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:

> Hi Andrew,
>
> See below, in-line.
>
> Regards,
> Jordi
>

>> De: Andrew Dul <andrew.dul at quark.net>
>> Responder a: <ppml-bounces at arin.net>
>> Fecha: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 14:56:53 -0800
>> Para: <ppml at arin.net>
>> Asunto: Re: [ppml] FW: 2006-7 IPV6 Initial Allocation suggested
>> changes-InputRequested
>>
>> First I don't necessarily see the need to change the existing
>> policy.  I'd
>> don't see the 200 /48s plan as a real hinderance to a legitimate LIR.
>
> So do you think is not possible an ISP to have a few customer and make
> profitable business ?
>
> Do you think is reasonable to stop people that are willing or
> already doing
> business this way ?
>
> In fact, when I introduced my idea about this possible policy
> proposal at
> the last meeting, I recall at least a couple of people in the room
> being in
> this situation, so is something real.
>

>> I generally only support change #1
>
> The only trouble I see with this is that may be to obtain an ASN is
> mandated
> that the ISP is multihomed ? Is this the case in ARIN ?

Not every entity which is multi-homed is an ISP. (My company is and
isn't, respectively.)

Look at 4.3, 4.4 and 4.5 in

http://www.arin.net/policy/nrpm.html#two7

Clearly, being multi-homed is one way. But there are others :

4.5.2
The organization must have compelling criteria for creating discrete
networks. Examples of a discrete network might include:
Regulatory restrictions for data transmission,
Geographic distance and diversity between networks,
Autonomous multihomed discrete networks.

> My view is that there may be small ISPs that aren't multihomed, but
> still
> need PA space in order to avoid depending on its upstream
> addressing space

Do you mean PI ?

> (avoid renumbering all customer networks, etc.).

I think (and more importantly, there is clearly consensus that) there
should be some filter for
these assignments; the current mix seems reasonable to me.

Regards
Marshall