[ppml] Policy Proposal: Removal of Ipv6 Operational Informationfrom NRPM

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Feb 15 23:54:54 EST 2007

I think that the root problem is that the RIR and ASO have policy as
their
only tool.

What I believe is needed is an additional tool.  If we add a
"recommendation"
tool, then, we have the NRPM for Policy, and the "recommendation
repository"
for recommendations.

Policy should not dictate how an ISP/LIR operates it's business.
However,
Best common practices and other recommendations could be collected
in such a "recommendations repository" as a community resource without
carrying the force or appearance of policy, thus removing the confusion.

So, perhaps what is needed is a (rather large) policy proposal that
does the following:

1.	Create the "recommendations repository" (please, come up with
	a better name for it).

2.	Remove all such recommendations from the NRPM.

3.	Add a section to the NRPM stating that non-binding recommendations
	are retained in the repository and that the NRPM is strictly for
	binding policies regarding resource allocations.

4.	Define a procedure for the updating of the "recommendations
repository",
	probably much like the IRPEP, or, extend the IRPEP to allow it to
	encompass the creation/modification of such recommendations.

5.	Whatever other steps I missed in this process.

Owen