[ppml] Policy Proposal: IPv4 PI minimum size change

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Feb 15 12:08:20 EST 2007

I support this policy.

As an additional point of consideration, APNIC will issue a PI /24
under the
same criteria, so, this is not incompatible with what is happening in
other
parts of the world.

I was not able to find a minimum assignment size in the RIPE
documentation.

LACNIC minimum assignment size is also /24.

AfriNIC appears not to support direct assignments as such, and I was not
able to identify a minimum allocation unit in their policies.
However, I do
know that before AfriNIC went operational, when the original 2002-3
was being discussed, AfriNICs constituency proposed 2003-15 to get
an ARIN policy specific to what would become the AfriNIC region
allowing the assignment of /24 addresses.

Between David's rather compelling arguments about routing table
entries and the situation with the other RIRs policies, I think it is
time to move the ARIN direct assignment boundary to /24.

Owen