[ppml] Legacy /24s

mack mack at exchange.alphared.com
Fri Aug 31 16:03:08 EDT 2007

I don't have the time to write it but I would support a
proposal that gives legacy /24 holders a permanent IPv4 fee waiver,
an efficient usage waiver so that they don't have to worry about reclamation,
and allows assignment of an appropriate sized block of IPv6 if they
start paying a fee after some specified date (ie. Jan 1, 2010) or whenever
the regular IPv6 waiver expires if it is extended beyond this date.
With the only contingency that the space be actively used in the DFZ
or showing that the space is in use in a manner that cannot be readily
replaced by 1918 space.

I personally feel that the /24 space needs to be handled differently than
the /16 and /8 space.

1) Because there are more of these than the others numerically.
2) Because there is no significant reclamation benefit if they are being used.
3) Most of these are individuals or small companies that don't have significant resources.

The use contingency allows for private use in organizations that may find
it difficult to convert to 1918 space.

This would be neutral in overall effect.  It cost them nothing unless they want IPv6 space.
It will encourage adoption of IPv6 by these users.  It will move a significant number of
legacy blocks under a policy umbrella.

This obviously would be for the 2008 timeframe.

LR Mack McBride
Network Administrator
Alpha Red, Inc.