[ppml] Policy Proposal: Definition of known ISP and changes to

Brian Johnson bjohnson at drtel.com
Fri Aug 31 11:24:05 EDT 2007

cliffb at cjbsys.bdb.com wrote:

> "If there is really a desire to get v6 started, ARIN should give every
> entity that has existing IPv4 addresses equivalent IPv6
> addresses under
> whatever provisions they are under now, including no fees for
> grandfathered PI addresses like mine."

Isn't there already a prefix set aside for mapping ipv4 into ipv6? If
there isn't, wouldn't doing this imply that anyone who has ipv4 space
can simply map this into ipv6 and away you go?

Example: I have an IPv4 allocation of 12.34/16.	My IPv6 allocation would
be XXXX:XXXX:XXXX:XXXX:XXXX:XXXX:12.34.00.00/96. (since I am not sue
off-hand if the prefix exists, or if it exists, what it is, I am using
Xs)

If such a prefix exists, it would be very easy to use a dual stack and
assign the IPv6 address that matches the IPv4 address.

Slap me if I'm crazy. :)

- Brian