[ppml] IPv6 addresses really are scarce after all

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Mon Aug 27 17:08:14 EDT 2007

Thus spake <michael.dillon at bt.com>
> In my experience Ethernet bridges and switches are not
> designed with security as a goal. When they fail to transmit
> all incoming frames on all interfaces, it is to prevent segment
> overload or broadcast storms. There are many cases where
> people have found ways, sometimes quite simple ways, to
> receive Ethernet frames that are not addressed to them.
> Given this backdrop, I am suggesting that a homeowner
> may have several reasons for inserting routers (and router /
> firewalls) into their home network, thus requiring the ability
> to have multiple /64 IPv6 subnets. Architecture aside, this
> is a pragmatic response to an information security issue.

Basically, because some people are too dense to use IPsec or SSL for traffic
they don't want observed, you want to greatly complicate the average home
network's design?  That they should be more scared of, say, their spouse
sniffing their credit card numbers at home than the NSA and FBI tapping
their email and web browsing at the CO?

Sorry, but that's the wrong response to the wrong problem.