[ppml] Free Market

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Mon Aug 27 12:31:15 EDT 2007

On 27-aug-2007, at 17:45, William Herrin wrote:

> Here's the economic problem you haven't adequately addressed:

[...]

Sorry, this is way too complex for me to be able to keep straight in
my head.

However, the point is that all ISPs announce to everyone everywhere
where they peer all the prefixes of their customers and customer's
customers. So the aggregation only happens inside an AS and is
invisible from the outside.

I suspect that in the topology you came up with, it's not possible to
do aggregation on the transatlantic link because that way, the thing
that you think happens would indeed happen: someone would have to
carry the traffic for free. That's not an option, so this means you
can't here. However, Christie and Debbie still get to direct all
their traffic for NL to the routers in their networks that connect to
transatlantic transits. I.e., a router in San Diego doesn't need NL
prefixes.

> making the whole thing a colossal waste of effort.

There is no effort until you implement aggregation. Presumably,
people will only start to implement the aggregation when it buys them
something and not before. Without aggregation it's all just regular
PI that customers like so much.