[ppml] And as for assignments...

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Sun Aug 26 05:14:44 EDT 2007

> For an additional 2 cents... a /46, /52, /64 - all of these
> are excessive for a home user.

This is by design. The IPv6 designers created an architecture in which
home users, businesses and other organizations were all given far more
addresses than they would NEED. This allows the network to grow by
adding layers of heirarchy at any point. In-law suites, neighborhood
wireless, gaming party subnets, etc.

> I know with my current DirecTV, XBOX,
> PS3, Vista Media Centers at home all participating on my
> network, they do not like being in separate subnets.

Strange. Internet access always crosses a subnet boundary going through
one or more routers. IP does this by design.

> Assigning a /64 to a home... or 2^64th addresses... which is
> the number of IPv4 addreses available on the Internet today -
> SQUARED... Surely I'm not the only person who thinks that's
> just crazy.

Of course you are not the only person. There are lots of people who
learned about networking with IPv4 as the main protocol and IPv6 as a
footnote. Most of these people will listen to advice and buy a book or
two on IPv6 to learn how it is different from IPv4.

> My question is - What is wrong with my logic, in that most
> people who are commenting don't think in these terms?

1) You don't understand how IPv6 works.

2) Your suggestions amount to a redesign of IPv6 which may be
appropriate discussion material on an IETF mailing list, but not here on
ARIN lists.

--Michael Dillon