[ppml] Free Market

William Herrin arin-contact at dirtside.com
Sat Aug 25 19:33:57 EDT 2007

On 8/25/07, Paul Vixie <paul at vix.com> wrote:
> those constraints will modify the meaning of PI sufficiently that we'd be
> discussing it as a third possibility.  universal PA won't work, universal PI
> won't work, a hybrid of PA+PI has gotten us this far, we don't think it'll
> get us to a future we'll like, and nobody has a specific proposal or vision
> for what future we might like or how to get there.  sounds doomish to me.

Hi Paul,

The friendly folks over on the rrg at psg.com list have made several
specific proposals for disentangling PI space from BGP including LISP,
Ivip, eFIT-APT and my own entry TRRP. They change how PI is routed but
they don't change its function. I can't speak for the others, but mine
lays out an incremental implementation plan which doesn't require
everyone to jump on board all at once and where the folks involved
experience a direct benefit from each step:
http://bill.herrin.us/network/trrp-implementation.html

Proposals and visions for the future are on the table. Its just a
question of picking one and seeing it through.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William D. Herrin                  herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us