[ppml] And as for assignments...

Jonathan Barker jonathan at qx.net
Sat Aug 25 15:58:53 EDT 2007

All who have responded,

I basically asked "What's wrong with my logic" just to make sure I
wasn't missing anything. I can do /64s... you're right, I have so much
address space with just a /32 under v6 that I could serve 4 billion
customers - a figure I can say with certainty I'll never attain.

But, once upon a time, IPv4 didn't have classless routing capabilities.
That was built in later. If there's demand, all these other features can
surely be built in for smaller blocks as well, whether IETF standard or
not... (if a couple of near monopolies agree, that is. ;-) By the time
we get most of the Internet on v6 - who knows what v6 will actually look
like.

I suppose I've held a little too much conservatism over from IPv4
constraints, as I have been very constrained when it comes to IP
addressing. We're the most IPv4 efficient ISP I know of - but I just
cannot understand why a single family dwelling would ever need or want
2^64 addresses. It's just so phenomenally wasteful. It's a little like
building a 20 Gigawatt nuclear power plant for each and every household
who needs power to run their PC. :-)

Jonathan