[ppml] Policy Proposal: IPv6 Assignment Guidelines - version 3

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Fri Aug 24 11:35:34 EDT 2007

> I totally disagree that most will never need a second allocation.
> In the ARIN region most ISP's have requested a /32 so far.
> At an HD-Ratio of 0.94 that gives them a little over 33,000
> customers at a /48.  The primary reason is many ISP's have
> received their current allocations for test networks and/or
> initial deployments, and not attempted to size to handle
> their entire customer base should IPv6 take off.  [Note, that
> in and of it self doesn't meet with the Sprit of
> IPv6 allocation guidelines.]

Now there is something that we can fix with policy.

How about allowing any LIR to receive a second allocation under the
"first allocation" rules if they provide a signed statement that the
earlier allocation was used only for testing and trial purposes and that
they will return the earlier allocation to ARIN within 6 months?

--Michael Dillon