[ppml] Policy Proposal: Decreasing Exponential Rationing ofIPv4 IP Addresses

Dean Anderson dean at av8.com
Thu Aug 23 14:40:57 EDT 2007

Two messages, inline

		--Dean

On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 michael.dillon at bt.com wrote:

> > So, now ARIN can't do math?
>
> Sorry but no. ARIN is a corporation and last time I looked, corporations
> can't do math. Only people with an education in mathematics can do math.
> And since this is the ARIN *PUBLIC* policy mailing list, where a
> mathematics education is *NOT* a prerequisite, math is rather out of
> place.

This is absurd.

> A while back, I proposed an ARIN policy that involved logarithms.

And, apparently, hypocritical.

On Wed, 22 Aug 2007, Michael K. Smith - Adhost wrote:

> If we were trying to write policies for a set of engineers then
> mathematical equations would be justified.

Networks are designed by engineers.  Engineers should understand math.

> However, what I think we're trying to do is write policies that are
> understandable and implementable by ARIN's user base.

The user base doesn't implement the policies. ARIN does.

> As some Physics professor somewhere said, "if you can't explain it to
> an 8 year old then you don't understand it."

:-) Yes. And I do have a book on Calculus for 7 year olds:

http://www.amazon.com/Calculus-Young-People-Ages-Yes/dp/096216741X

If a 7 year old can understand it, I'm sure that both you and ARIN can.
;-)

		--Dean

617 344 9000